Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fancy some new yaw hardware.

Fancy some new yaw hardware.

I've been using the same old Saitek rudder pedals for what seems like an eternity, other than having to pull them apart periodically to unstick them they've been fine, other than they're plasticy and a bit clunky.

I've decided to retire them, put them in storage and donate them to junior who may or may not do a bit of simming in the future, he'll also have an X-52 as well.

Two choices leading the way are the MFG Crosswinds and the new Thrustmaster TPR's. Crosswinds are tried and tested (you still using yours Thor?), the TPRs are only out.

I tend to use my Saiteks with my heel on the floor rather than my whole foot on the pedal, looking forward to some in depth reviews for the TPR's.

My brother has these:
    https://vkbcontrollers.com/?product=vkb-t-rudders-mk-iv

And swears by them.

I saw those, why they weren't on my list was simply the action of the pedals, pressing the pedal down rather pushing forward seemed unrealistic to me.

I have no doubt the build quality is superb judging by their other offerings, the direction of travel of the pedal would also be a non issue after a short while.

Quote Originally Posted by vapour View Post
    I saw those, why they weren't on my list was simply the action of the pedals, pressing the pedal down rather pushing forward seemed unrealistic to me.
    Its actually because of the realism of the movement that my brother bought those pedals in the first place. At least in most gliders and single engine planes Ive flown, they move exactly like that (when mounted at an angle)

I can see your point when they are tilted. The other obvious difference between these and other pedals is the omission of toe braking on each pedal, do gliders have a brake lever built in the the joystick / control column?

I can see your point when they are tilted. The other obvious difference between these and other pedals is the omission of toe braking on each pedal, do gliders have a brake lever built in the the joystick / control column?
    Some have them on the airbrakes, some have a bicycle brake lever on the stick (not joking). Either way, not many gliders need differential braking .
    That said, I do think you can do differential braking with those rudders, you just press down both pedals but the position of the pedals will change the braking left/right. So you will also be applying rudder, but I cant imagine that ever being a problem.

Two choices leading the way are the MFG Crosswinds and the new Thrustmaster TPR's. Crosswinds are tried and tested (you still using yours Thor?), the TPRs are only out.
    Sure am. Had to re-tighten them a while ago, but still as good as day one. Approximately twice a week, been using them for 3-4 hours.

Had one toe brake sensor go bad on me early on, but Milan supplied the (improved) replacement almost immediately.

I have a very early build sample (S/N 0007), nowadays you can get them in Gray color, not just with much improved electronics.

El_Marta has them as well.

If I was buying in the near future I'd wait for the TM TPRs and reviews. They do offer something new in terms of non rotating set, and heels on the floor type pedals.

If you need a set like yesterday, I'd go with Crosswinds. Tried and tested (IIRC now at about S/N +5000 last I checked).

PS: I've even met the guy in person. Milan stopped by my house to swap the early electronics.

Sent from my OP6
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

Are there any toe brakes on those rudder pedals Skinny?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

First YouTube review I've seen, interestingly some direct comparisons to the MFG Crosswind rev1 pedals.

Right, as you can see I move fast with these purchases.

Ordered and paid for is a new set of MFG Crosswind pedals, hopefully have them in a week or 10 days.

I was within a hounds gowl off getting the TMs but they never dipped into the 300s on any sales or deals, my Saiteks limped on but are now at the end and my hand has been forced.

Looking forward to these. I do like my heels on the floor though, I'll see how I find them and can always fabricate a combat style pedal if I need to.

Hi mate.
    Good to see you didnt rush into anything!
    Im busy doing things with the servers so dont be disapointed if this thread goes missing im moving this server soon so just a heads up

Have you thought about condor gliding sim? it works with VR brilliantly. It feels real, but its not a requirement.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Okay, pedals arrived.
    Built them up and have been toying with the two cams, I like No.4 the best, I added the softer spring to the package but haven't fitted it yet, the original one seems fine.
    The yaw action of these pedals is soooo smooth.
    Kicking myself for not retiring the Saiteks earlier.

As with Kaisers new joystick thread, these hardware threads need pics, so here a few...

Old and new.

On its own.

Have given the pedals more angle, going to give the softer spring a bash as well.

Bad weekend for all this, Six Nations starts tonight.

Okay, pedals arrived.
    Built them up and have been toying with the two cams, I like No.4 the best, I added the softer spring to the package but haven't fitted it yet, the original one seems fine.
    The yaw action of these pedals is soooo smooth.
    Kicking myself for not retiring the Saiteks earlier.
    Glad you like them. My S/N 0007 is still holding on. This is their 3rd version you got there, with all the quirks ironed out.

I can totally relate with the comment about Saiteks. Felt similar about my Simpeds when I tried these...
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

Looking good!

I have a cunning plan for a set of durable pedals.

It involves customising an exercise mini-stepper.

If they are tough enough for the weight of a person then just a pair of legs should be no problem.

Even if I have to buy a new unit, it's still a cheep-as-chips way of getting started with a frame and oscillating arms, Thrustmaster TPR style pedals at a fraction of the price......
    Last edited by Bladebender; 06-02-2019 at 14:21.

"You're not a fighter pilot! What about your top button?"

Looking forward to this one Good idea

Im very curious to see that too. When I saw the TPR i immediately realized thats the sort of pedal movement I would want. Just not at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bladebender View Post
    I have a cunning plan for a set of durable pedals.

It involves customising an exercise mini-stepper.

If they are tough enough for the weight of a person then just a pair of legs should be no problem.

Even if I have to buy a new unit, it's still a cheep-as-chips way of getting started with a frame and oscillating arms, Thrustmaster TPR style pedals at a fraction of the price......
    Do you want any donor parts for your project?
    I still have these Saiteks.

I looked at some musical pedals, they already have a USB input, also looked at converting some drum pedals which have good attachments for operating the bonging thingy, ultimately though, I think you might as well save and buy some.