Thread: What Now?

What Now?

Right im sort of back in the loop now.

I have just spent the summer working much harder than normal, the last 2 months doing tests and courses but the next couple of days should see a bit of quiet time for me.

I dont want to spend it all messing with the servers for B-F but I have neglected the site and servers because they dont put food on the plate, in fact they take it off!

So on the 1st December the servers will go offline for a day whilst the hut where our machines are is rewired and the comms cabinet replaced and tidied up. The place is a tip, not my doing, I keep my corner clean!

There have been a couple of power outages and the fact that the batteries in two of the UPS's I use are dead and have been for 6 months means our servers die when the power does.

Ive just blown the best part of 100 buying 4 new batteries for one of them and am going to trawl the net for 2 cheap drives to rebuild one of the old machines.

I would be interested to hear what if anything you guys (all three of you probably!) want to see kept running.

Personally I need a webserver as I host the www.jetsimulator.co.uk website on it so B-F piggy backs on that machine for free.

Thoughts?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Ive just bought 4 new hard drives which I will use to rebuild 2 of the servers. That means if I virtualise the machines we should be good for 4 or 5 servers.

i just need to work out what the BOS 1 server needs backup battery wise.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Slightly off topic, but you do make me curious, just how often do you lose electricity where you live?
    I think the last time it happened to my house was 3 or 4 years ago and that was probably the first time in like a decade.

As for what servers to run, I not paying and Im not playing, so I dont have a voice or opinion. Maybe condor if you try it one day ?
    The system requirements and bandwidth use for condor servers are basically zero (running one now, using 4MB ram, unmeasurable cpu load, bandwidth is low enough to ignore). The only problem is that they are windows only, or Im sure I could run a dozen on a raspberry pi..

Tx_Tip is offline Captain More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Okay thanks for all the effort with this Bone. Early Christmas cheer on the way to help with the cost.

On BOS server priorities.
    BOS_1 is the stronger machine which can run the heavier FNBF and Dogfight missions with limited Players and used by the BoS community.

BOS_2 is the weaker machine. Can still run basic missions. Frankly players had not used this machine for quite some time even when it was viable and had ICONs Easy Flight etc.
    If cannibalizing BOS_2 strengthens BOS_1 then...

Just a note:
    The BOS Dserver software is limited and at times dysfunctional. Basically accessing 1 core to handle most everything. Additionally the game itself is evolving with more detailed FM/DM physics. Requiring even more computing power. This is due to the upcoming Tank Commander module along with high speed and high altitude adjustments for late war aircraft included for the Bodenplatte module.

To be sure all AI aircraft, tanks and vehicles along with Players themselves have always used the same detailed physics from the games inception. Following several of the earlier updates we were able to increase the number of active "entities". Following the latest update and in my opinion the foreseeable future unless the Dserver software has an overhaul, the number of Players and/or the active "entities" will need to be toned down for a playable online experience.

So having stronger cpus, memory and bandwidth are becoming a necessity to incorporate all the new "stuff" for a playable online experience on said Dserver software. Obviously I will continually use creative mission designing to accommodate our BOS server specs.

Glad to hear you are returning to have some fun with gaming. As always there's a slot open for you.

I'm just in the process of getting properly active again with a new PC that'll allow me to take part in BoS etc., so I'd particularly like to fly on that BF's set up. Additionally, many of the 334th squad are now becoming involved with BoS and they are folks who used to help populate the old IL2 1946 on BF's. I'm sure they'd partake. Also, from a purely selfish point of view it'd be great if there was access to new online sims such as Post Scriptum, which I've been following and in tend to get involved in, but I don't know how feasible that is with the servers. I will certainly contribute once this PC build is done, at the moment I feel a bit of a fraud joining in the conservation and not putting my hand into my pocket. I will say I'm very glad the whole show isn't going and thanks once again for your perpetual efforts.

Tip I got the money. that has paid for the ups batteries. Thanks

Skinny we rarely get power outages at home, however where the servers are it is chronic. I know about 50% of the sutdowns have been when updates to the production lines in the factory next door are made. Other than that there have been some massive blackouts which takes out houses and businesses. I realy dont know what causes them.

The network is going offline this weekend for a day hoepfull no more!

Bone and Tip, thank you for putting the server back up again.

I just need to shut the BoS server down briefly to lift the lid so I can identify the raid battery I need for the server.