Thread: Finished First Task!

Finished First Task!

Well i managed to fly it, got a bit low at one point but worked out OK in the end.

Is there a leaderboard anywhere?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Well i managed to fly it, got a bit low at one point but worked out OK in the end.

Is there a leaderboard anywhere?
    Congrats

If you know the task you can find it on condor-club and see results for it. These are the latest results for the task you finished:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/raceresults/0/?t=1&id=12103

To get a real record, you should upload the flight track from documents\condor\flighttracks, then it gets listed here:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/besttimes/0/?id=12103

Try the replay the race button. If you uploaded your own, you could include it.

You can also download tracks there from other pilots, or view them to see what the fast guys did, like this one:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/analysis/0/?res=118925

Hover the mouse of the barogram.

If you are a real nerd, you can download the IGC file (thats a glider standard log file) or even several IGCs at once to view them here:
    https://www.soaringlab.eu/viewer.php
    Last edited by Skinny; 29-01-2019 at 15:09.

I can see myself on there. I cant really see how I am rated on it. I guess as I was on my own and the conditions can change between attempts its difficult to measure my effort to those who did it faster before?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    I can see myself on there. I cant really see how I am rated on it. I guess as I was on my own and the conditions can change between attempts its difficult to measure my effort to those who did it faster before?
    Conditions are 100% identical (unless there is a flag set that randomizes the weather, which I did not set). Basically, you have to look at the speed of those that finished. Since this task was an "all planes" task, normally a handicap is applied depending on what glider you used. That handicap and the speed points you get is relative to the other competitors though, and speedpoints require a minimum number of competitors to finish the task. Therefore, if you races alone, or if you are the only one to finish you will get 826.4 points in that race, regardless if you did it in 30 minutes or 6 hours.

To compare to others, you have to upload the flight track to condor club, then you will get ranked in this list, where scoring is calculated as if you all flew together and a handicap is also applied:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/besttimes/0/?id=12103

Notice how Stefan Selker gets a higher score than Geir Waterloo, despite being a lot slower. Thats because the first flew in a standard cirrus, and the latter in a JS1-18m.

BTW you can see the handicap in condor GUI:

Generally, the handicap factor is not enough to make up for "bad" planes below an index of 100-110. There is basically no chance in, say, a cirrus or Blanik to win on points against a modern standard or 15m plane even with the handicap.

However, 18m and 21m is a different story. They have a higher index than 15m gliders, because they have a better L/D glide ratio. But in actual flight, that advantage shrinks as you fly faster (larger wings== more drag) and at very high speeds, a 15m Diana, helped by its exceptionally high wing loading, actually becomes as good or even better than most 18m gliders, yet it has a lower handicap.

Long story short: Diana is the best plane for points in most fast task. its better than other 15m flapped gliders and at higher speeds performs similar to most 18m planes that have a significant handicap disadvantage. On slower ridge tasks, if you rarely fly over 200KmH, an LS-8 can be competitive too thanks to its lower handicap and quite good performance up to that speed. 18/21m gliders perform better but can only compete on points in special conditions where the high glide ratio at modest speeds is actually useful, which is pretty rare, especially in condor.

Note that in reality most competitions are flown in separate classes, so 18m dont compete with 15m or standard, and the handicaps are typically not used. They are mostly used in club competitions where only older planes with <100 handicap like a Cirrus/libelle/ls1 etc are allowed.
    Last edited by Skinny; 30-01-2019 at 20:30.

BTW, 2.0.6 is released, I updated the BF servers. Grab the patch and hangar update here:
    http://www.condorsoaring.com/downloads-2/

announcement here:
    http://www.condorsoaring.com/condor-...1-26-released/

All very informative! Thanks.

Im downloading the updates.

its a pity we cant get a bulk purchase discount of the software, it seems the price is putting most folk off. A mass BF start would be fun

There are a few third party resellers of condor, like https://www.condorworld.eu/index.php?produkt=43
    I dont know how that works though. Maybe they do buy in bulk and get a discount, or its just a "pass through" where they collect a small fee on each sale? You could ask if you are interested.

WE used to have an affiliation with trak IR in the good old days and we used to get a small % of each sale

Now that you finished your first task, are you up for a proper first race? TchinTchin this evening 17:30 CET or 16:30 UK time I believe.
    You will need Jura Mont Blanc2 Scenery. Im uploading it now.

Plane class is standard, it might not be a bad idea to buy the LS8 unless you are that one person who actually likes the Genesis, or you want to something to blame .

couldnt do it sorry it was my sons birthday so we went out for a meal with the family.
    Im a busy bloke!