Thread: Midnight oil condor competition

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat

Midnight oil condor competition

Ive organized a little late night condor competition, on demand for some Spanish guy who insists Spanish cant play computer games before 21:30 GMT and therefore all the popular competitions are too early for him.

I dont expect a lot of people joining so late (most condor pilots are european and that means 22:30 start time for us, so we would finish near midnight at best) but in the Uk you are one hour behind, so if you are interested, and what to have a shot at a podium place among a handful at most, feel free to sign up:

https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/show/204/?id=331

Should be some fun,short VR friendly tasks. Ill probably only fly the saturday night tasks myself.

What day? Im off on holiday in the next couple of days.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

You could have clicked the link
    Starts next week, then every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for the next three weeks.
    9 tasks total. Best 7 results are counted.

BTW, I seem to have lost remote desktop access. AFAICT, the server is still running though

edit: nvm it works again

Bone, not sure when you are back, but if you are available Saturday evening 21:30 UTC, 40 people have signed up for Midnight Oil so far.
    https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/show/204/?id=331
    Thats rather more than I expected given the late hour for most EU pilots.
    You will need Arc Alpin2 scenery though...

Mirror available here:
    http://163.172.47.198/ArcAlpin2_0.5/
    Last edited by Skinny; 23-02-2019 at 09:17.

Just got back from Mexico, jet lagged!!! did you all miss me
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

do i need all of those files skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    do i need all of those files skinny?
    Yep. Will take a while to download and install.
    And welcome back.

well its installed.
    Ive also registered. however, we have a problem with our 737 sim, the projectors went blank a couple of times yesterday apparently so I have ordered a new graphics card (2080 rtx) and i will have to fit that tomorrow. If its a simple swap then ill be home in time if I have to re map all the projectors then Ill probably get home next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    well its installed.
    Ive also registered. however, we have a problem with our 737 sim, the projectors went blank a couple of times yesterday apparently so I have ordered a new graphics card (2080 rtx) and i will have to fit that tomorrow. If its a simple swap then ill be home in time if I have to re map all the projectors then Ill probably get home next week!
    You registered for the red bull challenge, which is the weekly offline stunt thing (which was an experiment that isnt proving to be very popular if Im honest, and I think I will abandon it after the second challenge)

You probably want to register for midnight oil here:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/show/0/?id=331

I dont usually fly those tasks myself except for Saturdays, as its really a bit late for me during the week. Same goes for most other EU contestants and especially Tuesday there is a bit of clash with Sky Competition, another competition that starts 2 hours earlier with longer tasks, so I wouldnt expect more than 10-15 ppls at most. But many of the pilots who do fly midnight oil during the week are new to condor or new to competition flying, as until now no one offered a competition at that hour. They tend to struggle a lot just to finish the tasks, so at least you have a chance to do well .

Ill see how I get on today. im going to replace the GPU on the sim and hopefully I wont have to re warp the image as it took 3 of us two days last time

Did you get it solved?

Anyway, Midnight Oil is drawing to a close, but while the late time slot limited the participation to ~15 pilots per race during the week, those that flew it really loved it and begged me for a successor, so I set up Low and Slow:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/show/0/?id=338

With two time slots so UTC+1 pilots can join too. Kicks off next week.

Just had a look, I will be afk most of next week working away

Bone, if you have time this evening and are up for a real challenge (and you have matamata scenery installed):
    Low and Slow Day 6 briefing

This may be the hardest Low And Slow task so far.
    As usual, it starts easy enough, with a ridge near the start that provides good lift. The wind is strong but the ridges are low and far apart, the rising terrain is treacherous particularly on the first leg. Later on, beware of the effect of water on thermal formation.

Its early in the day, thermal activity is high but the inversion and ceiling is low, thermals are weak and often blue.

Beware of hang glider activity on the ridge north of TP1.

Server "BF Low and Slow Day 6" starts at 20:30 CET
    20 minute join time
    Airstart
    1 min warmup time
    5 min start window

All planes are available, but wing span may matter more than wing loading today.

Better PDA maps and xsoar maps for matamata can be found here:
    http://www.condorsoaring.com/forums/...art=30#p163010

im not at home skinny sorry I dont have that scenery either i dont think
    Im not back home till monday night.