Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Beta Dedicated Server

So last night was good fun Iíll keep tweaking the mission builder until we get to something we like. I was thinking is it worth getting a few coop style missions so we can all work together on something?

Im still struggling with the A10 but Ill get there.
    Might get the f14 and sit in the back
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

well thanks to some coaching from Kaiser i managed to launch a couple of missiles. But that was last week so I have probably forgotten how to do it now.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Do we have any idea why the server keeps falling over?

Tried joining the server today, as I may as well do my practice flights online, but when I joined and selected the tomcat, the mission seemed paused, and I see no way to unpause it?

Ah right there is you need to log onto the server and do it from the web browser.
    Ill drop you a message in the syndicate area of the forum

Im going to be honest; I dont think this is going to work.

Ive been flying DCS now for a bit, and its obvious an incredible amount of work is being put in the popular servers. There is not only dynamic missions with in-game scripting of all sorts, but they also provide SRS communication server (sometimes even with human ATC/awacs radio operators, which blew my mind, its awesome), all kinds of external scripting/integration with discord, so for instance briefings are put on discord and bots will tell you IPs/passwords/radio frequencies/SRS servers/if there is a human "MAGIC" online etc. Ive been flying on Hoggit for a bit and its really deeply impressive. Aside fromt what I mentioned already, they have training servers with training maps and realistic hard core campaigns. They have multiple instructors available to help you out, ...

..this not something we can just mimic.

More over, there are plenty of servers in the server list, if anything, too many, (even though the server list tends to show only a fraction of the actual servers, its buggy as hell) and most of them empty.

Having a simple server could be useful if we had an active squad that wants to train or fly their own coop missions, but we dont. And active squads dont seem interested in another server, even if its free, as they already have one (or several) and usually high specced machines that they needed before the dedicated server release, so they typically have like high clocked core i7s, 32GB ram and NVME SSDs. If they used to be able to host one server on that machine, now they can host 4 or more. And all the software and services are set up on that machine, why would they migrate to a 10 year old server they have no control over?

Maybe we can revisit this if more BFs players decide to get in to DCS, or get back to DSC and form something resembling a squad. But right now, it seems a BFS squad would mostly consist of me (being a trainee at best) and maybe you as an occasional backseat passenger fumbling with the tomcat RIO knobs . We need a lot of things, but our own server? At this point, I dont think so.

BTW, discord invite for hoggit:
    http://discord.gg/hoggit

Here is my last flight on there, to give you a feel of how great it is to have human awacs. Now a newbie like me who is so bad at situational awareness can score 5 kills

Last edited by Skinny; Yesterday at 15:48.

And just after posting that, I got a PM from an interested squad. Ill forward the message via PM

Unfortunately, DCS is cripple when it comes to dynamic setup. However, such is possible with MIST/MOOSE scripts.
    On the other hand, ED has a habit of breaking things up, and there are times when you just end up pulling your hairs out of sheer frustration . Last time, a bug from ED was preventing any air unit respawns upon landing via those script engines. It took about 2 weeks to roll the fix.

I don't know how those server guys keep their environment up and running despite these annoyances. Salute to them This dude gave up
    Last edited by Professor; Today at 08:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Unfortunately, DCS is cripple when it comes to dynamic setup. However, such is possible with MIST/MOOSE scripts.
    On the other hand, ED has a habit of breaking things up, and there are times when you just end up pulling your hairs out of sheer frustration . Last time, a bug from ED was preventing any air unit respawns upon landing via those script engines. It took about 2 weeks to roll the fix.

I don't know how those server guys keep their environment up and running despite these annoyances. Salute to them This dude gave up
    In fairness, your link is about DCS 1.5. Im much too wet behind the ears to really judge 2.5, maybe things got a little better?
    That said, judging by hoggit discord, they do seem to have at least a dozen devs helping out with the scripting and missions... so yeah, you are not going to replicate that with one guy unless he is on it full time. Or even if he is on it full time.

Anyway, the question is why bother with a public server ? back in the sturmovik days, I felt like there was a real need for UKD servers to exist, as few if any other servers provided similar semi historic maps/missions/settings and reasonable admins enforcing reasonable rules. UKD would have been sorely missed if it hadnt been there. To some extend, this also applies to the condor servers I run, I do think they fill a gap, which is why the competitions I host there have become relatively popular (relative to condor player pool size). I dont think I can say the same about DCS right now. I may change my mind as I learn more, and my requirements or desires change, but right now, it seems to me it needs players more than it needs servers or missions.