Thread: DCS purchase advice

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat

DCS purchase advice

I decided I want DCS in my life.

But im not keen on spending too much time learning the P51 or Su25, if I am going to have to study I might as well study the plane that I end flying most. I was going to buy flaming cliffs but Im currently looking at buying the F14 instead. Just one plane, but with all the goodies. And with a spoken language I understand.

Im suspect I will also need some hardware. I dont have an endless budget, so Im wondering what I should prioritize.
    I currently have:
    - Force feedback 2 stick, but no pedals, no hotas
    - Ryzen 5 2600x, geforce 1070, 16GB ( slow 2133 Mhz DDR4 ram carried over from my old pc)
    - 1tb M2 nvme 4x storage
    - 3x 1080 monitors, but Im fine flying on just 1.
    - trackir, no vr set yet.

I read that 16gb is not really enough for online playing.. is that true? I cant really add 16GB, I would have to replace all and buy 32gb at once. Upside is that I finally get some proper speed memory, but at a price... Or will it cope with 16gb when using a nvme ssd?

I like my FFB2, but it doesnt have a lot of buttons. I was look at adding a CH Pro Throttle. But it costs about the same as an entire X52 pro set (and more than a x52, not sure what difference the pro makes?). Thoughts or alternatives?

I dont plan on pedals yet. I have no ambitions flying helicopters and Im used to a twist stick and I like putting my feet wherever I want

Videocard will also have to do for now; some offline playing suggests it copes fine with the Su25 offline. No idea what will happen with the F14 online. But if/when I decide on a VR set, it will be a high resolution/large FoV one like the Pimax, so Ill probably need to remortgage my house to buy a GPU that can drive that

P-51 is super easy to learn, nothing new there apart from flipping few more switches than in the old IL-2 '46. Besides, try the free TF-51, that will give you the feeling before pulling the trigger on WWII.

F-14 is a great module from what I hear. You won't go wrong - except at its current stage it is a bit more demanding hardware wise.

16GB should do fine, just tone down the preload radius for MP if you start having issues. SSD for DCS is a must, else you will grow old with those load times.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

p51 doesnt have sweeping wings or afterburner . Nah seriously, I want to get in to jets now.
    Bought the F14 module. It looks amazing. And amazingly complicated.

I managed to crash twice taking off from a runway. Im very confused about basics like trimming (roll and pitch trim assignments seem reversed? is that a bug?). When I finally got airborne, entered a irrecoverable flat spin within minutes. I have no idea yet how to use anything like all the nav aids and stuff, but thought it would be a good idea to land on a carrier on my third actual flight. How hard can it be? The mission briefing presented some pattern that looked way too complicated for me. So I buzzed the carrier top gun style, turned around, slowed down, the hook was already down, I remembered where the flap lever was, correctly guessed that G was for gear, just eyeballed the approach and made a perfect landing. I kid you not. Dont know what all the fuss is about, carrier landings are easy lol .
    Last edited by Skinny; 16-04-2019 at 08:28.

Maybe we should fire an old warbirds server up? It would be good if they produce a cut down server rather than the 100 gig behemoth we are having to use now.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

My advice to anyone taking this up would be to learn one aircraft when it comes to fighters / jets. I dont own anything more than the Huey which is complicated enough, the A10 which is even more complicated and ive got a very old version of the Russian helicopter that came out years ago.

That said I fancy getting the f14 and riding around in the back!
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    That said I fancy getting the f14 and riding around in the back!
    Ive been flying the F14 for a few hours now and watching youtube tutorials for many more hours.
    I found these tutorials absolutely invaluable:
    https://grimreapers.net/tutorials/

Ive only focused on the pilot seat for now, but from what Ive gathered, the F14 RIO seat is at least as complicated, so if you want to study that, feel free to jump in my back seat anytime. If you dare lol, even Jester has a tendency to eject when I fly

Ive gotten to the point where I understand some things. I can cold start, take off, navigate, sometimes score a few AA kills in offline missions. I still need to practice carrier landings, refueling, I dont know anything about air to ground yet, not done any formation flying and really, if Im honest, my air to air skills are pretty much non existent either.

I especially struggle with situational awareness. I tried a few online dogfights, I obviously wasnt expecting that to go well, but not only did I get killed every time, I only once managed to actually spot a bandit before I died. He was on my 6, but at least I saw him lol. Im not really sure how the awacs datalink works, if that works (is it just the chat messages?) etc.

I think for now, ill be focusing on offline practice, doing the tutorials and built-in missions, but if any one here wants to do an online session, like a coop or some mission, and you dont mind me being more a menace to friendlies than enemies, let me know. Where and when do you guys fly usually?

As for hardware, I ordered a thrustmaster TWCS throttle for now. It doesnt look like the best thing ever made, but its not expensive and at least it has some buttons and stuff I badly need. If/when I ever get hooked on this I can always spend some more on better hotas setup.

Ill buy the F14 when i get back from holiday. You can usually start the aircraft with a couple of key presses as it is automated.